Sunday, May 31, 2015

Research topics and resources

Extensive research has been and is being done on the topic of exercise as it relates to Multiple Sclerosis (MS). When my father was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy several years ago, I began investigating as many related conditions as possible because very little is known about his condition (which is unrelated to Diabetes Mellitus). As his a prognosis has an unknown timeline and little information with which to research or plan, I turned to other resources and topics to find strategies and ideas to help him move forward in a healthy, productive way.

Because I come from a background teaching yoga, one of the first resources I found was Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis. This book, by authors Loren M. Fishman, MD, and Eric L. Small, provides visually appealing and very accessible yoga poses for anyone interested in trying or evolving a yoga practice. The authors include an extensive section on poses that may be done from a seated position or in a wheel chair in order to accommodate varying levels of mobility, and each are demonstrated as such. The book provides numerous illustrations and written instructions for each pose suggested by the authors. 

The introduction of the book makes sure to specify the ways in which yoga may help to compliment western medical treatment for MS and how it may alleviate symptoms of mind and body that accompany the changes brought about from the disease.

Many peer-reviewed journals have also examined the relationship between physical activity and Multiple Sclerosis. I will go into more detail in my next blog post, including what studies have shown to be the effects of endurance and resistance exercise on balance, fatigue, mood, physical fitness, muscle strength, and overall mobility.

Fishman, L. M., & Small, E. L. (2007). Yoga and Multiple Sclerosis: A journey to health and healing. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Multiple-Sclerosis-Loren-Fishman/dp/1932603174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433129301&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+and+multiple

No comments:

Post a Comment